'You Won't Believe It's Trash' Trash to Couture - Fashion Design Contest
20 February 2023 - 20 March 2023
‘You Won’t Believe It’s Trash (Y.W.B.I.T)’ has returned to Lendlease Malls with a Fashion Design Contest by reimagining waste and to turn Trash to Couture. With an intent to support Singapore’s Zero Waste ambitions, as well as Lendlease’s Mission Zero targets of reaching net zero carbon by 2025 and absolute zero carbon by 2040, which includes waste generated in our operations; the Fashion Design Contest helps to promote sustainable and creative zero-waste habits through upcycling materials and transforming them into couture pieces.
Y.W.B.I.T Trash to Couture will be launched at 313@somerset on 11 May 2023 with a Fashion Show featuring Apichet "Madaew" Atirattana, a young and gifted fashion designer renowned for her innovative approach to fashion by utilizing waste material to create unique pieces.
Top 10 finalists couture pieces will be displayed at 313@somerset, Jem, Parkway Parade and Paya Lebar Quarter from 12 May 2023 to 2 July 2023 on a roving basis. Prizes of the contest as follows:
Grand Prize - S$10,000 (S$5,000 Lendlease E-Voucher and S$5,000 Cheque)
2nd Prize - S$5,000 (S$2,500 Lendlease E-Voucher and S$2,500 Cheque)
3rd Prize - S$3,000 (S$1,500 Lendlease E-Voucher and S$1,500 Cheque)
4th to 10th Finalists - S$500 Lendlease E-Voucher each
11th to 15th Finalists - S$200 Lendlease E-Voucher each
How to Participate?
Participants may participate as an individual or a team (up to 3 team members).
• Submit your drawings and write up via the participation form by 20 March 2023, 2359hrs Singapore time.
• Top 15 semi-finalists will be announced on Lendlease Plus website on 27 March 2023. The semi-finalists will be required to fabricate their couture pieces as per their submission by 24 April 2023.
• Top 10 finalists will be announced on Lendlease Plus website on 28 April 2023 and will be required to be present on 11 May 2023 at 313@somerset for the Fashion Show. The grand winners will be announced during the Fashion Show.
At least 80% of the materials used in the design should be diverted from waste streams i.e. recycled, repurposed or upcycled. Submissions will be judged based on the following criteria:
Creativity & Originality (35%)
• Innovative and unique designs in terms of the use of recycled materials and repurposing them into fashionable couture pieces
• Usage of design element, colour, fit, style and trends
Presentation & Sustainability (35%)
• Impactful sustainability message and demonstrates how recycled materials have been integrated into the design
• A write-up (2,000 characters or less) to justify the design rationale, source details and material specifications
Craftmanship & Fit (30%)
• Workmanship and finishing of the couture piece
• Details of the couture piece and compatibility of choice of materials